A new initiative aimed at promoting the use of technology to reduce poverty has been launched in Kenya. The initiative known as Pathways for Prosperity: A new Commission on Technology and Inclusive Development, was launched on Thursday the 25 January 2017 by American philanthropist Melinda Gates, who was in the country for a two-day visit. [Daily Nation]
The same capitalists who continue to micromanage the global economy anchored on the invalid capitalist ideology and it secular creed; are globetrotting to further their evil and hegemonic policies. The economic system under capitalism is benchmarked on the false narrative of scarcity of resources and high population. This narrative was in essence meant to cushion the capitalists from being viewed as selfish, plunderers and hoarders of resources for self-aggrandizement at the expense of the languishing majority. Instead, they blame the high levels of poverty on the increased population rate! So they proposed that for resources to be equitable shared they must be directly proportional to population. They went ahead and nurture capitalist scholars who in turn spearheaded this narrative in a dual multipronged approach that emphasized on the imperativeness of gross domestic product (GDP) as the yardstick for economic growth and at the same time proposing numerous mechanisms to reduce the population by all means necessary. This deceitful narrative has led to global socio-economic disparities never witnessed since creation of man. Just to mention few instances where there are highest GDPs and extreme poverty levels (NB: The poverty figures are conservative because every country tries hard to hide the reality on the ground):
- African continent - Nigeria the largest economy with a GDP of 406 billion USD (2016 –World Bank) has 42.5% of its population at almost 83 million people languishing in extreme poverty.
- Asian continent – China the largest economy with a GDP of 11.2 trillion USD (2016 – World Bank) has 0.5% of its population at almost 70 million people languishing in extreme poverty.
- North American continent – United States of America (USA) the largest economy with a GDP of 18.57 trillion USD (2016 – World Bank) has 0.5% of its population at almost 2 million people languishing in extreme poverty.
Also, just to mention a few instances of Acrimonious campaigns to reduce population:
- The population control campaign in Africa is described in Family Planning 2020, an international plan funded in part by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Bayer Health Care and Merck, and implemented with the support of large NGOs like Marie Stopes International, Planned Parenthood and USAID. The plan for Kenya aims to:
Increase contraceptive prevalence rate (CPR) for any contraceptive method among adolescent women (15-19 years) from 40% to 50% by 2020 and to 55% by 2025. Reduce teenage pregnancy among adolescent women 15-19 years from 18% to 12% by 2020 and 10% by 2025. Increased modern contraceptive prevalence rate (mCPR) from 61% to 66% by the year 2030. To accomplish this ambitious goals, the plan calls for an aggressive “demand generation effort,” which includes targeting “identified high-priority segments (e.g., adolescents/young people, unmarried women).” The plan then includes supplying long-acting reversible contraceptives (LARCs) for free to the population in a systematic fashion through the public and private health network. “Earth is a finite place. The more people who inhabit it, the more they must compete for its resources,” an extract from an article in Scientific American calling for the increase in contraceptive policies in these regions.
- It is true that fertility worldwide has fallen from about six children in 1950 to around three children in 1998. Furthermore, between the early 1960s and 1998, fertility rates in the developing world have declined from 6.1 to 3.3. The sharpest declines occurred in East Asia--from 5.9 to 1.8--and Latin America--6.0 to 3.0. United Nations projections suggest that the world's population could begin to decline in about 50 years.
The genuine solution lies in the pure Islamic ideology that was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (saw) and that acknowledges the economic problem facing humanity is distribution of resources amongst the population. Islam also views resources or wealth ownership as a means to seeking the pleasure of Allah (swt) by using it according to what is in terms of the Islamic dictate including but not limited to paying Zakat, giving it out for charity, loaning others without interest etc. Also, the one who has been given ownership of the wealth or resources shall be accounted by the Creator of creation on the day of Judgement based on two issues pertaining the wealth: how they acquired and how they spent it. As for the Economic System under the Khilafah established on the methodology of the Prophet (saw) will be purely be built on three principles: Ownership, Disposal of ownership and Distribution of wealth amongst the people. Based on the above principles the economic system of Islam will be founded upon. Its objective will be to secure the satisfaction of all basic needs for every individual citizen completely under its leadership, and to enable him to fully satisfy his luxuries as much as he can as a person living in a particular society, which has a certain way of life. With such a policy executed as part of a broader comprehensive Islamic ideology will ultimately surmount the poverty-conditioned situation witnessed today under the hegemonic leadership of colonial masters led by America and its allies via its so-called investors and philanthropists who in reality are the backbone of the catastrophes bedeviling the world today!
Ali Nassoro Ali
Member of the Media Office of Hizb ut Tahrir in Kenya